Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and am now working as a full time Pastry chef and Cake Decorator at 'Exquisite Cakes by Lennert' in Cessnock, NSW.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Progress Report

I've just about finished all the roses and leaves for Mum & Dad's anniversary cake, as well as a bucket-load of little 'baby's breath' filler flowers. They were fiddly little buggers of things to make, but it will definitely be worth it. I wasn't happy at all with the batch of flower paste I made for this cake, as it was very stiff and dry, and the gelatine mustn't have mixed through properly because it was riddled with little lumps. I persevered anyway because I didn't have time to start again, but once I got on a roll I managed to turn out some reasonable buds and roses.

I've also been writing down my start-and-finish times and the before-and-after weights of paste as I've worked on the flowers and leaves so I can keep working on my statistics to figure out material costs and time taken. After I finish Mum and Dad's cake I'm planning to make up some rose sprays and put them on ebay, so I can hopefully start making some money back to cover some of my start-up costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment