Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef and cake decorating enthusiast. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and as of 2018 I am now working as a Cake Decorator at Designer Delights in Charlestown, NSW.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Fourth & Final Beginner Class

Ta-da!!! My beginner course is over and the cake is finished. Marilyn was impressed with my finished cake... she even asked me if I was actually making it for someone!  The arrangement might have been a little ambitious for a first attempt at wiring sugar flowers, but if you don’t look at it too closely, you won’t notice all the chipped petal edges and calyxes with points busted off. A valuable tip from Marilyn… yes, for realism, the fuller the flower the more the calyxes should be curled back, but until you’ve had more practice at wiring, just stick them down!

The arrangement is more ‘open’ than I wanted it to be, but I was putting the flowers as close together as I could manage without them knocking together too much. Apparently I used thicker wire for the roses than I was supposed to, so it was difficult to adjust the positions once they were taped together. After a bit of investigation I found that it was the instructions for making roses in my cake decorating book that said to use 18 gauge wire. According to Marilyn I was supposed to have used 22 gauge… oops.

All in all, the class was an enjoyable experience and a good introduction to cake decorating. It was making the roses that got me hooked… there was something amazing about watching a flat cut-out piece of icing come to life in my hands. Marilyn has talked about doing some Christmas themed classes next term, so I’m definitely going to keep an eye out for the next course catalogue. Now, could someone please pass me a knife?

No comments:

Post a Comment