Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and am now working as a full time Pastry chef and Cake Decorator at 'Exquisite Cakes by Lennert' in Cessnock, NSW.

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Best In Show!

By now the Newcastle Show would be winding up for another year... and I was stoked beyond belief to receive not one, not two, but THREE ribbons and trophies for my cake entry! I was awarded first place in the Novice Wedding Cake class, the Champion ribbon for the Best Judged Novice entry, and because I out-scored all the Open Class entries as well, I was also awarded the Open Class Champion ribbon and Best In Show card!



Not a bad haul for a single entry, and only my second time ever entering the Show! However, I did cop a bit of criticism from the judges on the marking sheets, but it wasn't unexpected... I knew there were flaws, but considering the distractions going on around me at the time, I'm happy to have even gotten an entry together at all. And while I was a little disappointed that I only scored 78 and 80 (out of a possible 100) respectively from the two judges, it's also encouraging that I was able to pull off a Best In Show effort, and still have plenty of room for future improvement!



No comments:

Post a Comment