Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef and cake decorating enthusiast. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and as of 2018 I am now working as a Cake Decorator at Designer Delights in Charlestown, NSW.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Yo Gabba Gabba models

I was feeling a bit nostalgic coming up to my blog's first birthday, so I had a look back at my earlier posts.  Boy, was I keen back then... multiple posts with several progress pictures each for every cake!  I guess everything was new and exciting early on, now it's a bit "another week, another cake" and I just want to get the job done rather than take the extra time to pull out the tripod every few hours.  Anyway, in honour of the early days, here's a progress picture for Cameron's upcoming 4th birthday cake...


Yo Gabba Gabba seems to be his favourite show these days, so I've made icing models of the characters to sit on his cake.  Apart from being somewhat fiddly and time-consuming, they really weren't that hard to do.  When you "break it down" (as DJ Lance would say) they're all made up of fairly simple shapes, just a lot of them.  I put a reference photo up on my monitor to copy from, and one character at a time, one feature at a time, one shape at a time... Foofa, Plex, Muno, Brobee and Toodee one by one appeared in my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment