Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and am now working as a full time Pastry chef and Cake Decorator at 'Exquisite Cakes by Lennert' in Cessnock, NSW.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Happy New Year!

Well, January is nearly over already, but Happy 2011 anyway!  Yes, I know, I've been MIA for a while... let's just say life's little roller coaster took a few unexpected twists and turns over the last couple of months and leave it at that.

As usual, I have a bit of catching up to do... firstly I'm happy to report that I did REALLY well in my first semester of Retail Baking at TAFE.  Out of five subjects I passed the two ungraded ones, and achieved Distinctions in all three graded modules.  I'm still working at 321 Patisserie in Argenton (almost half-way through the first year of my Pastry Chef apprenticeship), and we have another store opening soon in Warners Bay.

I also have a few photos to add from late last year, but at this point in time I'm taking an extended hiatus from doing cakes at home.  Going back to full-time work took a bit more out of me than I had anticipated, so for health reasons I've stopped taking cake orders for now.  However, I'm thinking I might come out of hibernation to do a small run of Valentine cookies and see how I go with a 'one-off project' ... I'll post details soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment