Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef and cake decorating enthusiast. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and as of 2018 I am now working as a Cake Decorator at Designer Delights in Charlestown, NSW.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

First Christmas Cake Class

Last night I had my first session of a Novelty Christmas Cake class, but unfortunately it wasn’t an overly productive night for me as I had a splitting headache for most of the time. The cake we are making is a sleigh, and last night we made cut-outs for the sides. If I’d known exactly what we’d be doing I would have taken my big rolling pin. I went along with basically all the gear I have for flower making and modelling, only to find out we were making what are basically big ‘plaques’ for the sleigh sides. Rolling out huge pieces of flower paste to almost A4-size with my little modelling rolling pin wasn’t fun. Ah well, classes are great to do but it’s a bit of a bugger not having all your own gear on hand.

This is one of my two sleigh sides. I just couldn’t get the thickness anywhere near even with my little rolling pin, but today it dawned on me… turn them over so the side that was pressed flat against the board is facing up! Much better. Marilyn had some textured rolling pins, cutters, embossers and other bits and pieces for us to decorate them with, but the design idea that I worked out actually came from a sleigh on one of the chocolate moulds she’d taken. A vision formed in my mind of what I want to do, but not having my gel colours or pasta maker with me, there really wasn’t anything I could do beyond cutting out my sleigh shapes. Anyway I’m out of cellogen too, so I guess I won’t be doing much more of anything at home either until I make another trip to Cupid’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment