Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef and cake decorating enthusiast. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and as of 2018 I am now working as a Cake Decorator at Designer Delights in Charlestown, NSW.

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Christmas Cupcakes

This morning I did another one-off three hour class, a Christmas Cupcake workshop.  These were fun to make!  Santa and the Snowman were made by sticking a marshmallow on top of a cupcake with ganache and then covering the whole lot with fondant.  We then used more fondant to model hats and facial features.  We did the snowman first... Marilyn happened to pick up my red-cased cupcake to demonstrate putting on the marshmallow, and half the class had done the same before she remembered that the red ones were supposed to be for Santa.  D'oh!  Ah well... it looks like he's decided to break the mould and wear green pants this year.



We also had a small cake baked in a tartlet case and a bigger muffin that we could decorate any way we liked.  I went for good old-fashioned holly on the small cake, which actually turned out looking a bit like a miniature Christmas pudding.  To make the Christmas tree I used a marshmallow again, this time with a sausage of fondant around the join between muffin and marshmallow and a little peak on top of the marshmallow to build up more of a cone shape.  I covered the whole thing with green fondant, and put on silver cashous and little balls of red and white fondant for decorations, and cut out a star with a small cutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment