Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef and cake decorating enthusiast. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and as of 2018 I am now working as a Cake Decorator at Designer Delights in Charlestown, NSW.

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Santa & Rudolph

Poor Rudolph... he was the first model I started working on, and the last one finished.  He's been all-but-finished for ages, waiting patiently for me to get off my butt and go down the street to get some ribbon to use for the sleigh reigns.  All I had to do last night was glue on the ribbon and stick on some holly cut-outs to cover the join, and Rudolph is ready for action.  Santa has been finished for a while too, and for my first attempt at modelling a person, I'm really happy with how well he turned out.



All-in-all, I've really enjoyed the modelling, which is pretty much what this class was all about learning.  I just need to bake my cake now.  Speaking of needing to get off my butt, I really have to get the cake done this afternoon to give myself time to cover it in marzipan and fondant.  I also went to the hardware shop yesterday and got some MDF cut for my board, which I need to cover with contact and fondant as well.  I've finished all the modelling, but I still have a busy few days coming up to have everything ready to put together on Tuesday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment