Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef and cake decorating enthusiast. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and as of 2018 I am now working as a Cake Decorator at Designer Delights in Charlestown, NSW.

Friday, November 13, 2009

Sack & Presents

Last night I added ribbons and bows to the presents I made in class this week, and I painted the trimmings today.  I didn't end up putting bows on all of them as they were quite fiddly, and I'm running out of time to get my models done, so I decided to just spend one night on it and whatever I got done was a bonus.  Later on I actually thought of a good reason to not have bows on all of them... they would get in the way if I need to stack the presents on the cake.



I also made Santa's sack today.  I started with a ball of brown paste, then pinched and stretched it out at the top.  Last project was to make a few little candy canes by twisting together thin sausages of red and white paste.  That's pretty much it for the modelling!  I was going to make some toys to sit in amongst the presents, but when I did a quick mock-up of the cake to measure up and work out what size board I need, I realised that there wouldn't even be room for them in the sleigh!  It's actually going to be quite a small cake, just heavily decorated with models.

No comments:

Post a Comment