Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef and cake decorating enthusiast. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and as of 2018 I am now working as a Cake Decorator at Designer Delights in Charlestown, NSW.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Second Christmas Cake Class

Once again, I didn't have a very productive night at my class last night. No headaches this week, at least not in the literal sense... my biggest headache was that my modelling paste was barely workable. I made up modelling paste according to the recipe in my book, but Marilyn thought it seemed way too stiff. I added copha to it, I kneaded more fondant into it, I added 'slip' (a sugar paste conditioner that I got from Cupid's), but still couldn't get it soft and/or smooth enough to work with. I don't think the weather helped either... it was a very hot day and I think that having the ceiling fans on in the classroom kept drying out the surface of the paste too quickly. I was trying to make a reindeer, but by the end of the night, all I had to show for two hours' work was a blob of too-stiff chestnut brown paste. Looks like I'll be doing some some heavy-duty modelling at home this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment