Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef and cake decorating enthusiast. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and as of 2018 I am now working as a Cake Decorator at Designer Delights in Charlestown, NSW.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Second Intermediate Class

Last night's class was Brush Emroidery, plus a demonstration of tiering.  I'm not sure if I even want to photograph my somewhat pathetic first attempt at brush embroidery... it didn't really work at all.  I think the brush I was using may have been too soft to drag the icing out properly... to have the brush wet enough to drag the icing at all basically meant that it was so wet it made the icing go too runny to hold the brush marks.  Without the visible brush strokes to resemble embroidery stitches, it looked more like brush organza!

Thanks to the disorganisation of this term's classes, who knows what we're going to do next week, the week after, or for that matter in the next course.  Marilyn had been planning to teach us philanopsis orchids in this course, but according to the course notes provided by the college, they are supposed to be in the Advanced class that's on after the Intermideiate.  We decided on (at least) filler flowers next week... I guess I'll just take some flower paste and my entire cutter collection and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment