Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef and cake decorating enthusiast. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and as of 2018 I am now working as a Cake Decorator at Designer Delights in Charlestown, NSW.

Friday, February 12, 2010

First Intermediate Class

This term's round of cake classes kicked off on Wednesday night.  Having enrolled in this class because I wanted to learn tiering and draping (as per the course description on the college web site) I was a bit annoyed when my course comfirmation notes arrived to find that two out of the four sessions were the same tiger lilies and frangipanis that I did last year.  I went along to the first session on Wednesday not expecting to be staying, but found out when I arrived that the college had sent the wrong information to students.  Marilyn had only found out herself in the previous day or two, so realising no-one would have the right gear with them, she made the first night a demonstration class.

We were shown how to do different types of drapes and swags, as well as bows and frills.  I'm glad I've never tried any of these before as I thought they were all done with fondant, but Marylin used a half-and-half mixture of fondant and flower paste.  Fondant on its own is too soft and flower paste dries too quickly, but a combination of the two gives a mixture that can be rolled thinly and draped to look like fabric without drying and cracking.  I'm so keen to try this now!!!

Meanwhile, after getting all excited about starting TAFE this semester, it still isn't happening... I turned up to enroll last week only to find that the renovations affect Retail Baking as well and they're not taking new enrolments until July either.  GRRR... back to the old drawing board, and still looking for a pastry cook apprenticeship.  On the other hand, the home business is starting to pick up a little... I've sold a few dozen Valentine cookies, and had a couple of enquiries about wedding cookies and cakes.  I'm already working on some wedding cookie designs, and I hope to have samples done in the next week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment