Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef and cake decorating enthusiast. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and as of 2018 I am now working as a Cake Decorator at Designer Delights in Charlestown, NSW.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Third Intermediate Class

Part Three of the make-it-up-as-we-go-along Intermediate course... we made filler flowers for most of the night, then one of the girls wanted to know how to make a rabbit model for Easter cupcakes, and Marilyn decided to show us a quick fondant rosebud that a student had actually shown her how to do.  I think I might have seen it myself on YouTube early on when I was looking for rose demonstrations... I probably didn't pay much attention to it because I was looking up how to do flower paste roses at the time, but they would make great decorations for cupcakes.  They certainly look better than the "ribbon roses" we did way back in the orignial cupcake class.

I'm not even going to bother getting the camera out for the filler flowers I made... the batch of flower paste I've been taking to class is a bit old and dry, and by the time you stop and start and wait for everyone to catch up to the next step of the demonstration they're already starting to dry and crack, so they're really not much to look at.  Some of the others made a few of each type that we were shown, but I just made one of each and spent a fair bit of time looking at Marylin's books and magazines.  Well, I can practise making flowers at home... I think flicking through magzines while I have access to them is time well spent.  So many ideas, not enough hours in the day, or days in the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment