Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef and cake decorating enthusiast. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and as of 2018 I am now working as a Cake Decorator at Designer Delights in Charlestown, NSW.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Almost There...

It worked!!! After all the stressing about what to pipe on my cake and almost giving up doing anything but a shell border (I would rather have put my gorgeous roses on a plain cake than a piped one if the piping was going to be crappy), piping the fine pink lines over the white scrolls worked perfectly. Only one note to self: if doing star nozzle work first then putting leftovers through a fine nozzle, thin down the icing! My hands were aching so much from having to squeeze the piping bag so hard that by the end of the border, I could only do three or four loops at a time without taking a break.


I picked out the best pair of wings and the best body for each of the three butterfly sizes and "glued" them onto the cake with some cellogen glue mixed with a little icing sugar. Once they were dry, I very nervously piped the antennae directly onto the cake. So all the piping was finished last night, and today I dusted and steamed the rest of the flowers and leaves that I made during the week... everything is now ready for tomorrow night. I'm sorry the photo is a little glary, but I had to use the flash. I normally don't, but it was such a dreary, overcast day today that there wasn't enough light, and the ones without the flash looked like they were taken in a dungeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment