Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef and cake decorating enthusiast. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and as of 2018 I am now working as a Cake Decorator at Designer Delights in Charlestown, NSW.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Let's try that again...

I decided to take the plunge and re-cover my cake last night. The covering job I did in class was terrible, and I had also since decided that a pale pink fondant would have looked nicer with my roses than putting them on a stark white background. I kneaded an extra 100g or so of icing sugar into the kilo of Orchard fondant that I still had left, and coloured it a super-soft baby pink.

Then I had hassles with the fondant sticking to the bench when rolling, even though I had dusted with icing sugar. I gathered it all up and rolled it out again, using more icing sugar then the first time, but a big patch in the middle still flatly refused to lift off the bench. In the end I got around it by rolling out the fondant about half-way, and folding back first one side then the other, and sprinkling extra icing sugar under the middle section. Finally, success!


The firmer fondant was definitely easier to lift up and over the cake. There were still a few tiny stretch marks (nothing that a bit more practice won’t fix, I hope!), and being done at home in my own clean kitchen rather than in a high school science classroom, there were no dust issues. Oh, and I also cut my fingernails super-short to avoid digging them into the icing. Overall it looks a thousand percent better than it did before… I’m so stoked with how well my roses are turning out, I just couldn’t have lived with putting them on such a crappy looking cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment