Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef and cake decorating enthusiast. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and as of 2018 I am now working as a Cake Decorator at Designer Delights in Charlestown, NSW.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Roses Galore!

I’ve now made a dozen roses with the pink flower paste that I coloured last week, half each with my two different sized cutters. With each cutter, I’ve made two each of bud, medium, and full roses. Before I made these ones, I revisited the Expert Village ‘How To Make Sugar Gum Paste Flowers’ demonstration series on You Tube and decided to use this method, as the arrangement of the petals are more like that of a real rose than the ‘quick rose’ method we were shown in class. (And yes, the tripod makes the WORLD of difference!)


I’m still getting better at making roses with every batch I do. Even the few little mistakes I’ve made aren’t overly noticeable, and it’s all part of the learning curve to figure out what I did wrong and make sure I do it better next time. The main thing is that I’m absolutely loving making them, and the more I make and the more confident I feel, the more I figure out my own little ‘ways’ of doing things. I also have a grooved rolling pin now, so I had a bit of a play with making a few leaves today too.

No comments:

Post a Comment