Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef and cake decorating enthusiast. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and as of 2018 I am now working as a Cake Decorator at Designer Delights in Charlestown, NSW.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Third Beginner Class

In last night’s class, we covered our cakes with fondant. Marilyn got us use two layers of fondant instead of marzipan then fondant, because “some people don’t like marzipan.” Personally I don’t mind marzipan, and I will be using it in future, unless the cake is for a customer that doesn’t want it. In keeping with my ‘homemade tastes best’ philosophy I also plan to make all of my own icings, but for the purpose of the class, I bought the Orchard ready to roll icing.

 
Now I’ve never covered a cake in fondant before, but I’ve watched several videos on You Tube, and to me the Orchard icing seemed WAY too soft. It was impossible to move the rolled icing onto the cake without it pulling and stretching under its own weight, and the finished result wasn’t the greatest. The photo doesn't really show it that well, but it's full of dust specks, fingernail scratches and ‘stretch marks.’ And looking at it again this morning in natural daylight, it looks even worse than I thought it was. I’m so disappointed with it, I’m seriously considering covering it again with another layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment