Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef and cake decorating enthusiast. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and as of 2018 I am now working as a Cake Decorator at Designer Delights in Charlestown, NSW.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Happy Birthday Rohan!

I've finished Rohan's birthday cake... I know, it looks a little sad backing up from the fully iced and decorated cake I did in my class, but it's what the birthday boy wanted. The cream cheese icing turned out fairly soft, so I didn't end up trying to do any piping. I took the photo as soon as I finished putting on the walnuts, because I had visions of the beautifully crusted sides sliding off if the cake stayed out of the fridge any longer than it had to. But even so, it held up better than expected and it tasted incredible.

I would also like to take the opportunity to thank Rohan for all the support he's given me as my life enters this new chapter. From looking after the kids while I'm at classes and keeping them out of my hair when I'm working on cakes, to rescuing me from meltdowns and helping me come up with alternative ideas when things haven't gone according to plan, he's been there for me. Money has been tight lately, but Rohan has still encouraged me to follow my dream. Happy Birthday, my wonderful husband... love you heaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment