Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef and cake decorating enthusiast. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and as of 2018 I am now working as a Cake Decorator at Designer Delights in Charlestown, NSW.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

All Is Prepared...

The kitchen is clean, the mixmaster is out and ready for action, I’ve cut the lining papers for the cake tins, and just cut up what looks to me like a scary amount of butter. I think I have pretty much everything ready so I can hit the ground running and get started on Cameron's birthday cake first thing in the morning. Well, first thing after nappies, bottles and breakfast, anyway.

I’m a little excited and a LOT nervous about making this cake. After having all these ideas bouncing around in my head for weeks, tomorrow will be the day that it all comes together, or all falls apart. Even though I haven’t actually done any classes yet, I still feel like I’ve already learned a lot from the cake decorating book I bought and instructional videos I’ve found on the internet. Not long now before I start putting ideas into action!

No comments:

Post a Comment