Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef and cake decorating enthusiast. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and as of 2018 I am now working as a Cake Decorator at Designer Delights in Charlestown, NSW.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Can we bake it? YES WE CAN!

Cameron’s “Bob the Builder” birthday cake is underway! The cakes are in the oven, and so far so good. I’ve never made a Madeira cake before, but it didn’t seem too unlike making a butter cake. It’s also the biggest batch of cake mix I’ve ever made, and if I thought the pile of butter I cut up last night looked scary, the mixmaster almost had a coronary!

The butter had been out of the fridge for a few hours, but my poor old mixmaster still struggled. I so badly want a Kitchenaid. I’m still using a cheap old Kambrook, the first mixer I bought when I moved out of home. Even after I finally got the butter and sugar creamed, I was having doubts about the bowl capacity by the time half of the eggs were in. The mix was right up to the top of the beaters by the end! I switched over to my two litre pyrex jug to fold in the flour and milk, and even that was full to the brim by the time it was finished.

So the two cakes are in the oven, and might I add that the aroma of baking cake is just starting to waft through! I’m making a 9 inch cake for Bob’s face, and a 4 inch that will be cut in half for his ears. The mixmaster is having a little rest following the trauma of making up such a huge batch of cake batter, but the poor thing still has to get through two separate batches of buttercream before today is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment