Newcastle, NSW, Australia
I’m a former industrial chemist, and after deciding on a career change while at home with my two young children, I’m now a qualified pastry chef and cake decorating enthusiast. In 2009 I started taking some classes in cake decorating and other pastry-related cookery, and taught myself many more decorating techniques from books and internet resources. In 2010 I started a pastry apprenticeship, studying Retail Baking (Cake & Pastry) Certificate III at TAFE, which I completed with Distinction in 2012. I completed my apprenticeship in December 2013, and as of 2018 I am now working as a Cake Decorator at Designer Delights in Charlestown, NSW.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Almond Puffs

These meringuey-macaroony things were a joint effort between Rohan and myself that basically came about because I accidentally bought a packet of natural almonds instead of the roasted ones that we normally snack on. Rather than just throw them out, we thought we might as well try to make something out of them. Rohan found this recipe for Almond Puffs, which involved blanching, toasting and processing the raw almonds and folding them into a simple vanilla flavoured meringue mixture. (Yeah, I know, they don't look that exciting, hardly worth getting the camera out for... )


This batch of Almond Puffs is destined for our Dungeons & Dragons group tomorrow night. I like to bake for get-togethers where possible, both to get some feedback on my cooking from others and so that Rohan and I don’t end up eating entire batches of baked goods on our own . We play D&D every second Friday night, and even though our coeliac Dungeon Master says he doesn’t mind, I still always feel guilty when I take along yummy baked treats that he can’t eat. No such problems this week…since the recipe contains only almonds, egg white, sugar and vanilla, it also gets bonus points for being gluten free!

No comments:

Post a Comment